Saturday, April 24, 2010

I consider my family a sort of group. Right now, I am experiencing something quite interesting with them and I believe that it is an excellent example of groups and creativity.
One month ago I became engaged. My parents were in Mexico during this time, so the planning process was left to me and my boyfriend. We make a great team, and the environment is comfortable and sharing therefore is easy. We can brainstorm, we say ridiculous ideas, and somehow things work out and we come up with good things. It’s been a month and we have so much accomplished already. Sharing ideas and being creative was not that easy when my family came back into the picture. My ideas were not well accepted, faces were made, and I was rejected on mainly every decision I had previously been excited about. I am scared to even share any more of my ideas. I used to stay up until four in the morning every night, tirelessly and excitingly looking at options and trying to plan. Now, my motivation is down, I feel more stressed, and I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing anymore/I don’t trust my ideas and I’m second guessing myself. I have been experiencing some of the culture barriers that have hindered my creativity. I have found myself being polite, complacent, and agreeing that I like things that are being changed when in reality I wanted it the original way I had decided. I have found that even when I try to be creative and decide/ visualize what I want, it’s just not working anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Mia,
    Congrats on the engagement with your boyfriend. Creativity is a result of looking at things in a new way, modifying something that already exists. I believe you and your boyfriend were doing the heuristic concept which is learning by doing, perhaps trial and error, but also came the algorithmic concept which is a tried and true solution. I say this because the attitude you had about the brainstorm you mentioned, and how happy you are with the results you and your boyfriend came up with but also you assumed your parents would not be that easy with being creative and sharing ideas. This is some personal information you shared, I am glad you shared it with the class, don't stress out everything will be fine. I hope that you, and your boyfriend live happily ever after, and you and your parents come up with a solution. Great post.

    ReplyDelete