Friday, April 30, 2010

Brainstorming

A topic from Chapter 11 which I found interesting was brainstorming. Brainstorming is something that we learn since grade school in terms as a useful tool for creative writing. I think brainstorming is important because it give people a free environment where you don’t think rigidly but rather just blurt out ideas and concepts. From this freedom and comfortable environment, sharing is facilitated and therefore a creative solution can be accomplished. By coming up with an abundance of ideas, one is able to open their mind and see the world of possibilities that are out there. Moreover, it promotes communication and positive sharing which is always useful. I believe that many times, brainstorming is undervalued.

On the other hand, brainstorming can deter from progress if the ideas aren’t organized and don’t decide on a plan of action. If this occurs entropy could ensue. If this happens, the chaos hinders the group from achieving the ultimate goal of positive communication and problem solving.

2 comments:

  1. Mia, I also liked this section in the chapter. It made me think about all the different ways I have been taught to brainstorm thoughout my schooling. I think when I was younger I was better at brainstorming because I didn't feel that I needed to have more ideas. I was way more free with the ideas that came out on my papers. I think that it is true that brainstorming can get in the way of completing a task if you aren't careful. If what your brainstorming about isn't coming up with the ideas you need, then it seems like a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brainstorming, I believe, is used in every 5 minutes of your life I think. There’s never a moment where you’re not planning something, whether it be 5 minutes from that moment, or 5 years from then. For example, as soon as I wake up, I brainstorm what I will do that following afternoon. Then I will brainstorm what I will eat that day. After, brainstorm about who I will hang out with, what I should do with my dog, and how I will finish all of this homework! Believe it or not, all of these concepts are used everyday whether we notice them or not.

    ReplyDelete