Saturday, March 27, 2010

Motivation

Motivation was a topic from chapter 7 that I found interesting. I agree that motivation plays a big part of successful listening. I believe that if you are motivated then active listening is facilitated and therefore interpretation of context/ message is easier. I believe that these phases and terms of listening are all related but I found motivation to be the most interesting because this is, in my opinion, where it all begins. If one is motivated/ interested then they pay more attention. When someone is distracted or busy, then motivation is lower due to the fact that their focus is elsewhere. Caring is an important part of listening. We have to want to listen and want to understand the message being sent by the other person. Like the book stated, good listening enhances our lives by allowing relationships to blossom, avoid conflict and many other things. Effective listening begins with motivation.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mia,

    Motivation is a very great concept to discuss. I believe that motivation plays an important role in the lives of most of us living in this country. We are motivated to finish our education so that we will be able to get great jobs and support our families. I know in my own life, I always look for motivational speakers to encourage me in my own endeavors. I went to see Mike Singletary last week, head coach of the forty-niners, and his motivational speech encouraged me to alway communicate with God, and also to always respect my wife-to-be. This is why I like how you closed your blog by saying "Effective listening begins with motivation," and I couldn't agree with you more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete